Wednesday, June 5, 2019

75th Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion

Just before the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion, I found a treasure stuck in my old college beer mug... don't know when I put it there or why I didn't treat it with greater honor, but as it began to crumble in my hands, I realized that I needed to do something to save it.  It's a well-worn calendar page that my father saved from June 6, 1944. My dad was a hard-working immigrant who spoke no English when he arrived in the United States in 1930. He loved his new country and was very proud to become an American citizen. Recognizing the historical significance of D-Day, he saved this calendar page with a note on the back that read: "The Day. Good Luck." This worn page now hangs on the wall in my office and each time I look at it, I feel like I'm honoring both those who lost their lives on that day and my father.
----------------------------------------------------- 
In June 2014, an 11-year-old boy visited Normandy, France for the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion.  As part of the boy’s personal project, titled “Project Vigil,” he spent four days teaching visitors and tourists about three paratroopers who had been buried in the American Cemetery.  His parents taught him well!


Complete Article by Paul Morris / Littlethings.com
Teach Your children Well by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

No comments:

Post a Comment